Baked Gouda Mac n Cheese with Parmesan Crisp Topping
Recipe Courtesy of: Carrots & Flowers
- ¾ cup Follow Your Heart® grated parmesan, divided
- 12 oz pasta elbows or gluten-free pasta
- 1 package Follow Your Heart® Smoked Gouda Slices
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour or rice flour
- 1 ¾ cups plain unsweetened soy or cashew milk
- 1 ½ cups Follow Your Heart sharp cheddar shreds, divided
- ½ tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup panko or gf panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spread ½ cup grated parmesan into a very thin even layer in a baking sheet lined with a slipmat or quality parchment paper. Bake for 6-7 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Cook the pasta one minute under al dente, according to package instructions. Drain when finished and reduce the oven temperature to 375°F.
- Shred the gouda. Melt the vegan butter in a medium saucepan over medium low heat. Add the flour and whisk until thoroughly combined with no lumps. Add the milk and stir well.
- Mix in ½ of the shredded gouda, 1 cup cheddar shreds, and ¼ cup grated parmesan. Cook until the cheese is melted, stirring occasionally, about 3-5 minutes. Add the paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Lightly grease an 8×8 baking dish. Stir the pasta into the cheese sauce, then transfer half of the pasta into the baking dish. Top with ½ the remaining shredded gouda and a ¼ cup of cheddar. Add the rest of the pasta shells and cover with the last of the gouda and another ¼ cup cheddar.
- Mix the parmesan crisps with the bread crumbs. Top the shells with the parmesan bread crumb mixture. Bake for 30 minutes until bubbling and crisp. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving then dig in!