Crispy Tempeh with Dipping Sauce Trio
Recipe Courtesy of: Plant Based Kindness
For the Crispy Tempeh
- 1 block tempeh (8 oz/227g)
- 2 tbsp Follow Your Heart VeganEgg powder
- 2/3 cup ice cold water
- 1 cup Japanese breadcrumbs (Panko)
- 3/4 cup oil for frying
For the Spicy Tangy Mayo
- 1/4 cup Follow Your Heart Vegenaise
- 2 tsp chili paste (sambal olek)
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 3/4 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tso garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Sesame Miso Ginger Sauce
- 1/4 cup Follow Your Heart Miso Ginger Dressing
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
For the Sweet and Tangy Chili Sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp chili flakes
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch
- Steam or boil the tempeh for 10 minutes to remove the bitter taste. Then cut it in cubes 3/4 in x 3/4 in.
- Prepare the vegan egg by combining the cold water and VeganEgg powder in a bowl. Add panko to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat a skillet, add the oil. Set the bowl with the VeganEgg and the bowl with the panko by the heating pan.
- Add the cubed tempeh to the VeganEgg bowl and mix with a fork to coat. Then take one piece of coated tempeh with a fork, shake off the excess coating, then dump it in the panko.
- Cover with panko completely without touching the wet parts so your hand stays dry. (Or use one hand for dipping in the egg, and one hand for the panko.)
- Take that panko coated piece transfer it to the heated oil. Repeat the process for each piece, working in batches for frying. Fry each side until golden brown. Monitor the heat closely so the oil doesn’t become too hot and burns the tempeh.
- Once the tempeh is fried, set on a paper towel lined plate. Serve hot with a dipping sauce of your choice.
- Keep in the refrigerator covered for up to 3-4 days. To reheat leftovers, use the oven so the tempeh nuggets will crisp up again.
- Combine the ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Make more as needed.
- Will keep in the refrigerator for 7 days.
Sesame Miso Ginger
- Combine the 3 ingredients in a small bowl. Will keep in the refrigerator for 7 days.
Sweet and Tangy Chili Sauce
- In a small saucepan, add the water, rice vinegar, sugar, garlic, salt and chili flakes. Whisk to combine, and bring to a simmer.
- Combine the water and tapioca in a small glass or bowl, mix with a work until there are no lumps and set aside.
- Once the sauce is starting to bubble up, add the tapioca and water and whisk to combine.
- When the sauce is starting to thicken, turn off the heat and remove the sauce from the pan. It will thicken as it cools.
- Store in an airtight container or a jar in the refrigerator for up to 7-10 days. It will thicken up, add drops of water to loosen it up if needed when serving.