Hawaiian Teriyaki Burger with Jalapeño Slaw
Recipe Courtesy of: Eat.Drink.Shrink
Save $1 on any of our products with this coupon.
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup cold water
- ½ cup Tamari
- 1 tbsp siracha
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- ¼ cup Better Body Foods coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger, very fine
- 2 small garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4-8 pineapple rings
- 4 hamburger buns
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 small sweet potatoes
- 1 cup oats (processed to dust)
- 2 tbsp Follow Your Heart VeganEgg (mix w/ 1/2 cup ice cold almond milk)
- 1 cup Panko
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 cups shredded white cabbage
- 3 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup Vegenaise®
- 1/2 squeeze of lime
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 avocado
- For the sauce: Combine the cornstarch in cold water and dissolve. Set aside to thicken.
- In a small saucepan, mix tamari, pineapple juice, coconut sugar, siracha, red pepper, grated ginger and garlic over medium heat. Bring to a boil and simmer until sauce reduces, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add cornstarch and water mixture, simmer until thick, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- For the burgers: Pulse the oats in the food processor until a fine dust. Combine in a large bowl with all the ingredients. As you combine mash all the chickpeas, but leave a handful for visual appearance.
- Cook the patties in a large pan on med/high heat with 1/3 cup of the sauce added. Coat evenly and cook each for 5-7 minutes until cooked all the way through. Add drizzle of olive oil to prevent sticking. (the more you cook the better) Add the pineapple rings to the pan as you cook and coat them in the sauce. Cook 3-5 minutes.
- Coleslaw: Throw everything together and combine.
- Assemble: Top the burgers with jalapeño cole slaw and avocado! Top with additional sauce if desired!