Jalapeño Bacon Baked Potato Soup – Eat.Drink.Shrink
Recipe Courtesy of: Gabrielle St. Claire AKA Eat.Drink.Shrink
We’re melting here in Southern California, but many other states are beginning to cool down in anticipation for fall. Either way, this spicy soup will do you wonders. Top with fresh avocado because… avocado! Thanks to Gabrielle St. Claire of Eat.Drink.Shrink for the recipe and amazing photos!
- 2-3 slices of faux bacon
- 2 Tbsp olive oil or if you have Vegan Magic faux bacon oil
- 1 yellow or white onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 6 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ inch pieces (additional for garnish)
- 2 cups Vegan Gourmet Cheddar Shreds and additional for garnish
- 2 jalapeños minced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 cup of Vegan Gourmet Sour Cream – additional for garnish
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 chilis in adobo sauce minced
- Wash and peel potatoes and place in a large pot of boiling water for 15-20 minutes until fork tender.
- In a skillet, cook the onion, garlic, cumin, chili powder and chilis in adobo sauce in olive oil (or bacon magic) until onions are softened and lightly browned. Add
- Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in 1 cup of vegetable broth. Add the potatoes and mixture to a blender and puree until smooth. Add to a large pot with the remaining broth, nutritional yeast, cheddar cheese and diced jalapeño. Add 1 cup of tofu sour cream. Cook on medium heat for 30-45 minutes. (Add more vegetable broth to obtain the right consistency if soup thickens too much)
- Heat faux bacon and diced potatoes w/skins coated in olive oil, seasoned salt and nutritional yeast in the oven on 375 for 10-15 minutes or until crispy. Once soup is ready top with spices, bacon bits, spiced potatoes, vegan cheese, sour cream and scallion.