Recipe Courtesy of: Plant-Based Kindness
- 3 tbsp oil
- 5 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth (or more as needed)
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 Follow Your Heart Mozzarella Style Block
- Fries of your choice (Thick cut fried recommended)
- In a small saucepan, add the oil and heat on low-medium heat.
- Add the flour, 1 tbsp at a time, whisking constantly. Once you have added the 5th tbsp and it looks like a paste, whisk in the vegetable broth slowly, 1/2 cup at a time. Let it thicken, then add the remaining.
- Add the tamari, ketchup, and the remaining seasonings.
- Keep whisking, and let it thicken up.
- Once you are happy with the consistency (add more vegetable broth as needed), taste to adjust the seasonings to your liking.
- Cook fries of your choice, homemade or according to package instructions.
- Crumble 1/2 block of mozzarella (for 2 portions) with your hands, and squish the pieces a bit so they resemble the traditional cheese curds (optional).
- Serve the gravy on top of the cooked fries. Top with the crumbled Mozzarella. Broil the poutine a little bit in the oven (in an oven safe dish) to soften the vegan cheese a little bit (optional).
- Serve immediately.
The sauce will keep about 5 days in the refrigerator, but keep in mind it will thicken up even more. To thin it out, whisk in a bit of vegetable broth as needed.