Fried Vegan Chicken and Gravy
- Grapeseed Oil for Frying (2-6 cups)
- Large Oyster Mushrooms or Canned Jackfruit (3-6 cups)
- Chopped Green Onions (¼ Cup)
- Tapioca Flour
Mushroom Marinade Mixture
- Pickled Jalapeño Juice or Pickle (1 Cup)
- Barbecue Sauce (½ Cup)
- Black Salt (1 Tsp)
- Hot Sauce (¼ Cup)
- Gluten Free Flour (½ Cup)
- Tapioca Flour (2 Cup)
- Onion Powder (3 Tbs)
- Garlic Powder (3 Tbs)
- Smoked Paprika (2.5 Tbs)
- Nutritional Yeast (6 Tbs)
- Cajun Seasoning or Poultry Seasoning (1.5 Tbs)
- Pink Himalayan Salt (If needed!) (1-1.5 Tbs)
- Black Pepper (1 Tbs)
- Vegan Butter (¼ Cup)
- Gluten Free Flour (4 Tbs)
- Onion Powder (1 Tsp)
- Hot Vegetable Broth (1-2 Cups)
- Follow Your Heart Vegenaise (⅓ Cup)
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Melt vegan butter in a pot over medium heat. Add flour and onion powder to the butter. Mix together with melted butter using a whisk until a thick roux forms. While stirring, slowly pour in ¼ cup of the liquid. Once incorporated into the flour butter roux (it will thicken quickly), add in more liquid to create your desired thickness.
- Stir until it thickens to a gravy consistency (it happens fast as water is already hot). And then mix in the Follow Your Heart Vegenaise. Taste, add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Sing your song. Do your dance. Speak your truth and enjoy the Vegan Gravy!
- Mix together jalapeño juice, barbecue sauce, and hot sauce to create the mushroom marinade mixture. Marinade the mushrooms in the marinade mixture for at least 30 minutes while you make the vegan gravy and prepare the dry batter.
- Heat the grapeseed oil in a deep pan and prepare to fry.
- In a large bowl mix together, gluten-free flour, tapioca, flour, onion powder, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper to taste. This is your seasoned flour mixture.
- Coat the marinated mushrooms in the flour mixture. Tap off any excess flour.
- Fry your battered mushrooms in the hot grapeseed oil until crispy and brown on all sides. Try not to add any more than five mushrooms to the pan frying at a time. (Air fry or bake them at 450 for 5-8 minutes to get them super crispy!)
- Place the fried mushrooms on a towel-covered plate to remove any excess oil and then transfer them to your serving dish. Garnish with chopped green onion and serve with a side of vegan gravy. Sing your song. Do your dance. Speak your truth and enjoy the Vegan Fried Chicken!
Eco Tip: Use any of the extra flour batter on cauliflower, jackfruit, eggplant, or zucchini to make sure none of the batter goes to waste.