Jamaican Pumpkin Patties
Perfect Pattie Dough:
- Flour of Choice (3.5 Cups)
- Pink Salt (1.5 Tsp)
- Curry Powder (2 Tbs)
- Turmeric Powder (1 Tbs)
- Cold Cubed Vegan Butter (1 Cup)
- Liquid Vegan Egg (4 Tbs)
- Cold Water (½ 1 Cup)
- Oil of Choice (2 Tbs)
- White Onion (½ Cup)
- Chopped Green Onion (½ Cup)
- Minced Garlic (3 Tbs)
- Scotch Bonnet Pepper (1 Pepper)
- Smoke Paprika (1 Tsp)
- Fresh Thyme (1 Tbs)
- Ground Allspice (¼ Tsp)
- Poultry Seasoning (3 Tbs)
- Maple Syrup (2 Tbs)
- Cubed Pumpkin or Squash (1 Cup)
- Pumpkin Purée (¾ Cup)
- Cooked Lentils (1 Cup)
- Crushed Pecans (1 Cup)
- Chopped Cabbage (½ Cup)
- Vegetable Broth (1 Cup)
- Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Mozzarella Cheese (1 Cup)
Creamy Jerk Sauce:
- Follow Your Heart Original Vegenaise (½ Cup)
- Jerk Sauce (3 Tbs)
- In a food processor, combine flour, salt, curry powder, and turmeric powder. Process and combine together. Next add in cubed vegan butter, and process it together with the flour.
- Then slowly add in vegan egg while processing together and slowly pour in cold water. Process together until a dough forms.
- Split the dough into two pieces and wrap it in plastic wrap. Place the wrapped dough in the refrigerator for at least 35 minutes while you prep the other ingredients.
- Make the pumpkin filling in a large pot by sautéing, white onions, minced garlic, and chopped green onions in oil with a splash of salt. Sauté until the garlic is slightly browned.
- Once the vegetables are sautéed, add in cubed pumpkin, cooked lentils, crushed pecans, chopped cabbage, fresh thyme, smoked paprika, ground allspice, poultry seasoning, maple syrup, and pumpkin purée. Mix everything together well.
- Finally add in vegetable broth so that the cubed pumpkin can cook. Cover the pot and cook the pumpkin filling for 15-25 minutes until the cubed pumpkin is fully cooked all the way through and it’s able to be pierced with a fork.
- When you are ready to build the patties, roll out your dough on a flour covered cutting board. Using a bowl to cut it out, create a medium circle and add a scoop of pumpkin filling to the middle of the dough along with a spinkle of Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Mozzarella Cheese.
- Fold the circle together to create a half circle with the filling inside. Gently press the outside pieces of the patty with a fork to make sure that it stays sealed and closed.
- Place the filled patties on a covered baking sheet and let them bake at 400° for 18-25 minutes.
- While they are baking mix together Follow Your Heart Original Vegenaise and jerk sauce to make the creamy jerk dipping sauce.
- When the patties are done baking, garnish them with green onion and serve them with a side of creamy jerk, dipping sauce. Sing your song. Do your dance. Speak your truth and enjoy the Jamaican Pumpkin Patties!