Candy Cane Sugar Cookies
by Spork Foods
- 2 level tablespoons Follow Your Heart VeganEgg, plus ½ cup ice-cold water
- ½ teaspoon natural orange dye
- 1/3 cup vegan butter
- ½ cup organic evaporated cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups organic all-purpose flour, plus for rolling dough
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter, softened
- 2-4 teaspoons soymilk creamer
- 2 cups organic powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash sea salt
- Dash natural yellow dye
- Black gel icing pen *Optional
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together VeganEgg and ice-cold water until slightly thick, about 1 minute. Add orange dye and whisk. Set aside.
- In a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a pastry whisk by hand, cream butter, sugar, and vanilla extract. Add prepared VeganEgg and whisk.
- In a separate bowl, whisk flour, sea salt, baking powder. Slowly add dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Mix until uniform. Do not over mix.
- Divide dough into 2 discs and wrap each disc in wax paper. Refrigerate for ½ hour.
- Roll dough on floured board until ¼ inches thick. Cut out 3-inch triangles with cookie cutter. Place cookies on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 12-15 minutes, or until golden around edges. Cool completely.
- For icing, add butter, creamer, powdered sugar, vanilla, and sea salt to bowl and whisk until smooth. Remove half of icing and place in separate bowl. Add a few drops yellow dye in one bowl and whisk.
- To frost cookies, dip top third of cookie in white icing. Dip lower third in yellow icing, leaving center exposed. Add eyes and mouth with black icing, if desired. Let icing cool completely before serving