Gouda and Caramelised Onion Swirl Buns
For the Caramelised Onions:
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Salt and pepper
For the Buns
- 180g self-raising flour
- 120ml plant-based milk
- 20g + 20g vegan butter/margarine, melted and cooled
- 7 slices Follow Your Heart SmokedGouda Slices
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
Tomato Veganaise Relish
- 100g Follow Your Heart Original Vegenaise
- 1 large tomato, diced small
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan and add the sliced red onion. Fry for 5 minutes until softening then add the balsamic vinegar, syrup, and some salt and pepper. Fry for 10 minutes, stirring often until sticky.
- Preheat the oven to 160Fan/180*C and grease an oven-proof dish.
- Add the flour to a mixing bowl and pour in the milk and 20g melted vegan butter/margarine with some salt. Stir together to a dough and transfer to a lightly floured work surface. Knead for 1 minute.
- Roll into an oblong shape (about 36x20cm and ½ cm thick). Brush over most of the other 20g vegan butter/margarine all over the dough. Layer on the Smoked Gouda slices so they do not overlap. Then top with the onions and mixed herbs.
- Using the long edge, carefully roll up the dough into a long tube. Slice into 7-8 pieces roughly 4cm wide. Transfer to the greased dish, so they touch and brush with the remaining melted butter/margarine. Bake for 20-25 minutes until fluffy and golden.
- Make the Tomato Veganaise Relish by stirring together all the ingredients in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper. Serve on top of the Gouda and Caramelised Onion Swirl Buns. Best eaten the same day.