Sour Cream and Chive Biscuits with Vegan White Pepper Sausage Gravy
by Eva Agha
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 tbsp + 1 tbsp vegan butter, divided
- Generous ¼ cup minced chives
- 1 ¼ cup Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Sour Cream
- 1 cup crumbled vegan breakfast sausage
- ¼ cup vegan butter or olive oil
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ground sage
- ½ tsp white pepper
- ½ tsp salt, more to taste
- 3 cups unsweetened plant milk
- Preheat the oven to 425 ºF.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Add 6 tablespoons of vegan butter and cut the butter into the flour using a pastry blender or two opposing butter knives. Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter and set aside.
- Stir in the chives, then add the sour cream and mix together with a wooden spoon until it is crumbly but has mostly come together, some floury bits are okay as they will come together in the next step.
- Turn the dough onto a clean counter and press or roll into a rectangle, about 9×6-inches. Fold the dough into thirds like a letter (use a bench scraper to help), then fold in half in the opposite direction. Shape it into a rectangle again and repeat the folding process a second time.
- Shape the dough into a 1-inch thick rectangle about 9×6-inches. Cut the dough using a 2 ½ to 3 inch round biscuit cutter or into 8 squares using a knife. Do not twist the cutter if using, simply press straight down! If cutting into circles, gather the straps and reshape and cut as needed until all biscuits are formed.
- Place the cut biscuits onto a baking tray so that they are touching and brush the tops with the reserved melted vegan butter. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
- While the biscuits bake, make the gravy. Melt the vegan butter in a pot over medium-low heat, then add the crumbled vegan sausage. Fry for about 3 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegan sausage and cook for about 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, to toast the flour. Add the garlic powder, sage, white pepper, and ½ teaspoon of salt and mix in.
- Slowly pour in the plant milk while stirring, then let it come to a simmer and turn the heat down to low. Simmer until thickened. If it needs to be thinned add additional plant milk. Taste and add salt as needed.
- Serve the biscuits smothered with hot gravy and a garnish of minced chives and enjoy!