Vegan Creamed Spinach with Breadcrumbs
by Spork Foods
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large container baby spinach (1 lb)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp finely ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg, grated
- ½ cup Follow Your Heart Vegan Cream Cheese
- 2 tbsp grated Follow Your Heart Parmesan, Grated
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, plus zest of ½ lemon
- 2 tsp safflower oil
- ½ cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp finely ground black pepper
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- ¼ cup Follow Your Heart Parmesan, Grated
- Melt butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes to soften. Add spinach, sea salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Cook until slightly wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Add cream cheese, parmesan, lemon zest and juice to spinach mixture. Cook about 2 more minutes, stirring frequently.
- Heat separate small skillet and add oil. Add breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and dried parsley. Toast until golden, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and incorporate Parmesan.
- Sprinkle breadcrumb topping on creamed spinach and serve immediately.