Asparagus Bacon Cheese Tart
- 1 sheet of frozen vegan puff pastry
- ½ bunch asparagus woody ends trimmed
- 1 medium leek (white part only) thinly sliced
- 1 medium shallot chopped
- 1 tsp of fresh thyme chopped
- 2 tbsp vegan butter divided
- 1 ½ cups Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Shredded Mozzarella
- ½ – ¾ cup Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Shredded Parmesan
- salt & pepper to taste
- flakey salt for crust
- Allow the puff pastry to thaw according to package directions. It should be pliable but not too soft.
- While your puff pastry is thawing, melt 1 tbsp of vegan butter in a large pan on medium heat. Add in the leek, shallot and thyme and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until the mixture softens. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, cook up the vegan bacon until golden brown. Allow it to cool before roughly chopping. Set aside.
- Once the puff pastry is ready, lightly dust a clean surface with a bit of flour. Roll out the dough to about a ¼” in thickness or until it is about 10” x 12” in size. Be careful not to roll it out too thin. Gently place the dough onto a large baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicone mat.
- Using a small knife lightly score a rectangle inside of the dough about 1 inch away from the edges. Do not cut all the way through the dough. This will create a crust for the tart. Then use a fork to prick the inside of that rectangle. This helps the dough from becoming too puffy and holds all of the toppings in place.
- Spread out the Dairy-Free Shredded Mozzarella onto the dough, staying within the rectangle. Then add the cooked leeks and shallots and top with the chopped bacon. Finally add a layer of Dairy-Free Shredded Parmesan.
- Arrange the asparagus horizontally across the tart in either a diagonal or straight pattern. Make sure to alternate each piece as you lay them so that there is a top followed by an end. Repeat until you have filled the tart.
- Melt 1 tbsp of butter and brush the dough designated as the crust. Top with flakey salt and season everything with fresh cracked pepper. You can also brush a bit of butter on the asparagus.
- Bake the tart at 400° F for 17-19 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Allow the tart to cool slightly before cutting and serving.