Beer Mac and Cheese
Bacon Breadcrumb Topping:
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, divided
- 3 oz vegan bacon, chopped
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp vegan butter
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- pinch of red pepper
- 8 oz. light beer, room temperature
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 bags Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Shredded Cheddar
- 1 lb. elbow noodles
- fresh chives, chopped
- In a large pot, cook pasta according to package directions.
- In the meantime, heat 1 tablespoon of vegan butter in a medium pot over medium-low heat. Add the chopped vegan bacon and cook until they begin to crisp up, about 4 minutes.
- Add the panko, minced garlic, and sauté for another 2 minutes or until golden. Season with salt and remove from the pot.
- In the same medium pot (or a small pot) over medium-low heat, add in the remaining 4 tbsp vegan butter and melt. Once melted, add in the garlic and red pepper flakes, and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Pour in the vegan beer, vegetable broth, cornstarch, mustard, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Whisk until uniform and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once boiling, slowly add the Dairy-Free Shredded Cheddar, whisking well between each addition to ensure a smooth fondue. Continue cooking, often whisking, until the cheese has melted in the fondue and is smooth and creamy. Adjust the seasonings to taste and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Add in the cooked pasta and mix through.
- Top with the breadcrumb and bacon mixture and fresh chives. Enjoy!