Buffalo Tofu Bleu Cheese Sandwich
- 1 package extra or super firm tofu (for best texture freeze tofu in package, then thaw and press out excess water)
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- ¼ cup Follow Your Heart Original Vegenaise
- 2 tbsp hot sauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- ½ cup hot sauce
- oil, to cook
Bleu Cheese Slaw:
- 1 ½ cups slaw mix
- 2-3 tbsp Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Bleu Cheese Dressing, to taste
- 3 sandwich or burger buns, toasted
- Follow Your Heart Original Vegenaise
- Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Bleu Cheese Crumbles
- Set the block of tofu on its long side and slice lengthwise cutting it into 3 slices.
- Add the white vinegar to the non-dairy milk and set aside for several minutes to make a “buttermilk.” Stir in the Original Vegenaise and 2 tablespoons hot sauce and transfer to a shallow bowl.
- In a second bowl whisk together the flour, smoked paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper.
- Dip each piece of tofu first in the flour, then in the wet mixture, and once more in the flour. Use forks to keep the batter on the tofu and off your fingers. If there’s not enough batter, you can repeat the process and dip once more in the wet mixture, then again in the dry.
- Heat a layer of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, use tongs to gently add the tofu. Cook 1 to 2 slices at a time until golden and crisp, about 2-3 minutes each side. When done, remove from oil and let drain on paper towel lined plate. Repeat with any remaining tofu.
- Make the buffalo sauce: Melt the vegan butter in a small pot over the stove or microwave safe dish, then stir in the ¼ cup hot sauce. Brush the buffalo sauce over the fried tofu.
- Make the bleu cheese slaw: Toss together the slaw and 2 tablespoons Dairy-Free Bleu Cheese Dressing. Add more dressing if needed to taste.
- Assemble the sandwiches: Slather some Vegeanise on the bottom bun. Add a piece of buffalo fried tofu, then top with the bleu cheese slaw and Dairy-Free Bleu Cheese Crumbles.