Caramelized Onion Tart
- 6 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp n dry sherry
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp finely ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 brown onions
- 1/3 cup Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Shredded Mozzarella
- 2 tbsp Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Bleu Cheese Crumbles, plus for topping
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, plus for garnish
- 1 package vegan puff pastry
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Heat sauté pan over medium-low heat and butter onion, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until caramelized, about 20-30 minutes, adding one tablespoon water as needed to deglaze pan. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Slice remaining 3 onions in half, keeping root intact. Then quarter them and then slice into eights, keeping root intact.
- Pre-heat oven to 375° F.
- To cast iron skillet, add 3 tablespoons vegan butter. Sprinkle with sugar and over medium heat, add onions to skillet in a ring with a few in the center. Cook until caramelization starts, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add caramelized onions between all onion wedges. Sprinkle with Dairy-Free Shredded Mozzarella and Bleu Cheese Crumbles, and thyme.
- Cut puff pastry into circle to fit size of skillet. Evenly spread with Dijon. Place Dijon side down in skillet and tuck in edges, enclosing onion mixture completely. Prick with fork all over pastry.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until pastry is golden. Set aside to cool for about 5-10 minutes before inverting on to plate.
- Top with fresh thyme and additional Bleu Cheese Crumbles when serving.