Cheese Stuffed Onion Rings
- 2 large brown onions, sliced into ½ inch thick rings
- 1 block Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Mozzarella, sliced into thin strips
- ¼ cup Follow Your Heart VeganEgg powder, dry
- 1 cup ice-cold water
- ¾ cup organic unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup organic panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ plus ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp BBQ seasoning
- ¼ tsp finely ground black pepper
- High-heat oil (safflower) for frying
- 1/3 cup Follow Your Heart Chipotle Vegenaise on side for dipping *Optional
- Pair sliced onion to fit one inside the other, with enough room to add a slice of cheese between rings. Slice cheese same height as onion rings, and tuck snugly into each ring. Cut pieces to fit and fill each onion ring. Set aside and repeat for all rings.
- In a mixing bowl add VeganEgg and ice-cold water. Whisk until thick and uniform. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, panko, baking powder, sea salt, bbq seasoning, and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large pot or deep fryer, until rippling.
- Meanwhile, dip stuffed onion rings into VeganEgg mixture and then into flour mixture, coating well.
- Fry until golden, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook on both sides if not submerged completely. Serve warm with Chipotle Vegenaise, if desired.