Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 (32 oz) bag of frozen Tater Tots
- 3 cups Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Cheddar Shreds (about 1 1/2 bags)
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups unsweetened dairy-free milk
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds vegan ground beef
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 jalapeno (diced)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp vegan steak sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 Tbsp dill relish
- In a 12” skillet / pan over medium heat in a little oil, add the diced onions and jalapeños. Sauté until translucent, about 6 – 8 minutes.
- Add in the vegan ground beef and crumble and cook until browned, about 6 minutes.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients for the meat filling and stir to combine. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Grease a 9×13 casserole dish with vegan butter. Add in the vegan beef mixture and spread in an even layer.
- In a sauce pan, add the vegan butter and melt over medium heat. Once melted, add in the flour 1 Tbsp at a time and whisk to incorporate each tablespoon of flour.
- Once flour has been whisked in, cook for 1 minute to get rid of the raw flour taste. Then add about 1/2 cup of the dairy-milk at a time, whisking in between to incorporate.
- Once all the plant milk has been whisked in, bring to a light boil. Once you see bubbles, add in 2 cups of the Follow Your Heart Cheddar shreds. Whisk to melt.
- Spread the other cup of Follow Your Heart Cheddar shreds over the meat mixture in an even layer. Then pour over the cheese sauce in an even layer as well.
- Next, add the tater tots in any design you wish!
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 F for 35 – 40 minutes.
- Let it cool for 15 minutes and dig in!