- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups organic Arborio rice
- 3 cups organic low sodium “chicken-style” vegetable broth
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp finely ground black pepper
- 1 cup Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Shredded Parmesan
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 oz vegan meat crumbles (or 2 cups minced mushrooms)
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped (about 2 sprigs)
- 2 tbsp marsala wine
- ½ cup organic frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup marinara sauce, plus for serving if desired
- ½ cup Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Finely Shredded Mozzarella
- ¼ cup dry Follow Your Heart VeganEgg, whisked with 1 cup ice cold water
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs, slightly crushed
- neutral tasting oil for cooking (Safflower)
- 8-10 leaves fresh basil, chiffonade *Optional for serving
- In a 6-quart pot, add oil, garlic and rice. Cook about 2 minutes, stirring often. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until soft, 18-20 minutes. Add salt, pepper, Follow Your Heart Shredded Parmesan and fold to incorporate. Transfer cooked rice to a large platter to cool.
- In skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and meat crumbles or mushrooms, thyme, wine, and peas. Cook about 5 minutes. Add sauce and cook about 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool completely.
- Dampen hands slightly. Scoop 1/3 cup cooled rice mixture into bowl shape in palm of your hand. Add small amount meat mixture and Follow Your Heart Finely Shredded Mozzarella and enclose and roll into balls. Coat each piece in VeganEgg mixture and then breadcrumbs.
- Fry in deep fryer or 2 inches oil in heavy skillet until golden. Serve warm with marinara and basil if desired.