Cheesy Kimchi Fried Rice
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp kala namak (Indian black salt for the eggy flavor; optional but highly recommended!)
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 cup vegan kimchi, packed
- 3 tbsp kimchi juice (liquid from jar of kimchi)
- 5 ounces sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, chopped, greens and whites separated
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1-2 tbsp gochujang
- 3 cups day-old white rice
- optional: 1 tbsp sesame oil
- sesame seeds, for topping
- ⅓-½ cup Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Shredded Mozzarella
Vegan Sriracha Mayo Sauce:
- ¼ cup Follow Your Heart Original Vegenaise
- ¾ tsp sriracha hot sauce, or to taste
- 1 tsp lime juice
- sprinkle of garlic powder
- pinch finely ground black pepper
- lime wedges
- chopped cilantro
- In a large wok or skillet over medium-low heat, heat about a tablespoon of oil. Once heated, using clean hands, crumble in the pressed tofu.
- Sprinkle over the onion powder, garlic powder, turmeric, and a pinch of salt, and mix through until uniform.
- Cook for 5-8 minutes, or until the mixture has dried out to your desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and mix in the kala namak. Remove the tofu scramble from the pan and set it aside for later.
- Clean up the pan if necessary and return it to the burner.
- Place a fine mesh strainer over a bowl. Place your kimchi in the strainer and press it with a soon to remove the juices. Chop your kimchi into roughly ½” pieces. Set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat.
- Add the kimchi, whites of the green onions, and mushrooms, and stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the 3 tbsp of kimchi juice, soy sauce, and gochujang. Mix until uniform.
- Add the day-old rice. Stir together and fry for 6-8 minutes, breaking up any large chunks with your spatula.
- Mix in the tofu egg and optional sesame oil. Cook for 1 minute more.
- Gently press down with a spoon or spatula thinly.
- Evenly sprinkle Dairy-Free Mozzarella Shreds on top. Wet your hand and sprinkle a bit of water on top of the cheese, then cover with a lid. Allow it to cook on low-medium heat until the cheese melt and the rice forms a crust on the bottom.
- In the meantime, prepare the vegan sriracha mayo sauce. Add everything to a small bowl and whisk together until smooth.
- Drizzle with sriracha mayo, and sprinkle with the remaining green onions, toasted sesame seeds and lime. Serve immediately.
- A lot of kimchi contains fish. Be sure to check that yours is vegan!
- Kimchi spice levels vary depending on the brand. Use only 1 tbsp gochujang if your kimchi is spicy and/or you’re sensitive to spice.