CHEESY MUSHROOM POT PIE
- 1 bag Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Shredded Mozzarella, divided
- 4 tbsp vegan butter, divided
- 1 medium red skin potato (about 6-8 ounces in weight), diced with skin on
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- 10 ounces assorted mushrooms of choice, diced (try a mix of trumpet mushrooms, maitake, oyster, shimeji, and portobello mushrooms)
- 8-10 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup white wine
- ¾ cup plant based cream substitute
- 4-5 sprigs fresh thyme
- ½ tsp black pepper, to taste
- 1 ½ tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 1 sheet chilled puff pastry, completely thawed
- 2 tbsp plant milk to brush the top of the puff pastry
- Parsley & thyme for garnish
In a large skillet, melt 2 tbsp of vegan butter over medium heat. Add in the potatoes with a large pinch of salt, and cook for 5-7 minutes until beginning to soften.
- Next, add in the onions, celery, carrots, and garlic with another large pinch of salt and cook for another 5-7 minutes until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Next, add in the remaining 2 tbsp of vegan butter, followed by the mushrooms with a pinch of salt until beginning to soften, about 3-4 minutes.
- Now, sprinkle in the flour. Stir, and cook for 1-2 minutes, then slowly stream in the white wine, stirring to prevent any clumps of flour from forming.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes to cook off the alcohol in the wine, and to allow the mixture to reduce.
- Stir in the plant cream, along with the vegan Worcestershire sauce, thyme, salt, pepper and the peas, and stir to warm. Once warm, reduce the heat to medium-low, and add in about ¾ cup (3 ounces) of Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Mozzarella, stirring to melt.
- Allow the mixture to cool off considerably before moving onto the next step. If the mixture is too hot when you add the puff pastry over top of the ramekins, it can cause the puff pastry to sink into the filling and lose its shape. It can be warm, just not piping hot and steaming. This should take about 15-20 minutes to cool. Preheat the oven to 425°F in the meantime.
- When the puff pastry is fully pliable yet still cold (right from the fridge), add it to a lightly floured surface and roll it out thin enough that you can make a top crust for 4-5 ramekins. Take your ramekin or cocotte and using a butter knife, trace a faint circle around it. Then, add a little bit of overhang (about ¼ inch to ½ inch overhang) around that, and cut them out using a sharp knife.
- Now, spoon the mushroom filling into 8 ounce cocettes or ramekins, and sprinkle a small handful of Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Mozzarella over top to create a layer before adding the puff pastry.
- Cover each bowl with puff pastry, then cut slits in the center to allow steam to release. Brush with plant cream to help create a golden brown pastry top, and sprinkle with the remaining Dairy-Free Mozzarella.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes at 425°F until the pastry is golden brown and puffy, then, without opening the door of the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 325°F. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes. This will allow the puff pastry to cook all the way through, as there is some moisture in the filling that can cause the bottom half of the the dough to remain undercooked. Keep a close eye on the pastry, and if it begins to brown too fast, cover the tops with aluminum foil. Remove from the oven when the pastry is fulled cooked through.
- Allow the pot pies for cool for 5-10 minutes when they come out of the oven so the filling can set. It will be very hot! Garnish with thyme and fresh parsley and dig in! Enjoy!
This recipe is best enjoyed fresh, but can be stored in the fridge covered with plastic wrap or foil for up to 4 days. Do not freeze.