Cheesy Stuffed Peppers
- 6 medium bell peppers (any color)
- 8 oz baby bella or white mushrooms chopped
- 1 small zucchini chopped
- 1 small yellow squash chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups lentils cooked
- 2 cups farro cooked
- 3 heaping tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp of fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp of fresh oregano
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/3 cup broth or water
- 7 oz Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Shredded Mozzarella
- Cut the tops off the peppers (save them) and remove all the seeds and any of the white membrane that you can. Set aside.
- Remove the stems from the peppers and then chop the tops. Set aside with the rest of the veggies.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil on medium heat and sauté the onions until translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and herbs and cook for 5 minutes or until the mushrooms start to break down.
- Add in the chopped pepper tops, zucchini, and squash. Cook for 5-8 minutes or until they begin to soften. Add in the garlic and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the cooked farro, lentils, tomato paste and 3 tbsp of broth and mix well. Mix in 1 cup of Dairy-Free Shredded Mozzarella and allow to heat through until the cheese has melted.
- Add the peppers to a baking dish and stuff each pepper with as much filling as you can. Top the peppers with the remaining Dairy-Free Shredded Mozzarella. Pour the remaining broth into the bottom of the baking dish and cover with aluminum foil creating a tent. This will allow the inside to steam and help melt the cheese.
- Bake at 350° F for 45 minutes to 1 hour. The stuffing will be hot the cheese on top melted and the peppers will be tender.
Tip: When cooking the farro and lentils (separately) use broth instead of water for added flavor. You can also add a little bit of fresh thyme to the pot as they cook.