Cheesy Stuffing Balls
- 2 loaves white bread, cubed
- 1 bunch celery
- 1 large yellow onion
- 8-10 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp each fresh rosemary, thyme & sage
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup + ¼ cup melted vegan butter
- ½ cup vegan butter, sliced thin
- ½ cup vegan butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp smooth Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- a small amount of salt to taste
- lots of black pepper
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- ½-1 tray of cooled stuffing, mashed with your hands
- ½ cup Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Finely Shredded Mozzarella Shreds
- ½ cup Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Finely Shredded Cheddar Shreds
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tbsp Follow Your Heart VeganEgg powder whisked with 1 ½ cup ice cold water
- 2 ½ cups panko breadcrumbs
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp poultry seasoning
- Canola oil for frying
- Rough chop your celery & onions and add them to a food processor with your garlic cloves. Pulse until everything is very finely minced but not a paste.
- Add ¼ cup butter to a skillet and melt. Add in your onion/celery/garlic mixture, fresh herbs, and salt/pepper to taste. Cook until translucent and fragrant over medium heat, about 5-10 minutes stirring frequently but don’t let it brown.
- Cube up your 2 loaves of bread, leaving them not toasted or anything just the bread right out of the bag, and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Melt 1 cup of butter and pour over the bread cubes with your 2 cups of broth. Once your veggie mix is cool enough to touch, add that along with extra salt & pepper to taste and mix well with your hands, squishing the bread until it’s basically a bread and veggie dough & all the liquid is absorbed.
- Oil a baking dish and add in your stuffing. Top with 1/2 cup sliced cold butter.
- Place your stuffing in a preheated 350F oven for 1 hour.
- Allow to cool before making the stuffing balls.
- In a saucepot over medium heat, add in your butter. Once it’s melted and foamy, add in your flour and whisk well. Continue to whisk for 1-2 minutes until the roux becomes a light golden color.
- Slowly pour in your vegetable broth while whisking continuously until all of the vegetable broth is combined with the roux. Add in your soy sauce, vinegar, dijon mustard, thyme, salt/pepper, and Worcestershire. Whisk to combine.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Whisk frequently until thickened to your preference.
- Take your cooled stuffing and make a large ball then flatten it. Stuff with a mixture of both cheeses and form the ball firmly with your hands to trap the cheese inside.
- Place all your stuffing balls on a plate or tray and place in the freezer overnight.
- Set up your dredging station with a bowl of your flour seasoned with salt and pepper, a bowl of VeganEgg Mixture (VeganEgg powder whisked with cold water) seasoned with salt and pepper, and a bowl of panko breadcrumbs with salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning.
- Coat each frozen stuffing ball in flour first, then VeganEgg, then breadcrumbs. Tightly pack the breadcrumbs on each stuffing ball.
- Heat up your canola oil in a pot or deep fryer to 375F. Deep fry each stuffing ball until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Do this in batches as to not overflow your oil.
- Season each ball with salt when they come out of the fryer. You can keep your oven set to 350F and place each ball on a tray in there after they’re done frying to keep them all warm as you fry the rest! It also helps the cheese get extra melty.
- Serve with gravy for dipping!