Chili Cheddar Cornbread
- 1 cup un-sweetened almond milk + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vegan butter
- 1 cob organic corn, kernels sliced from cob (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup organic finely ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup organic all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp finely ground black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/3 cup neutral tasting oil (safflower preferred)
- 2 heaping tbsp Hatch chilies, or diced green chilies (4 oz. can)
- 1 cup Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Shredded Cheddar
- Pre-heat oven to 375° F.
- In a small bowl add almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Let stand until curdled for about 3 minutes.
- Sauté corn in a skillet with butter for about 2 minutes or until golden. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, flax, sea salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne until uniform.
- Slowly whisk in almond milk mixture, maple syrup and oil and stir until uniform. Stir corn into cornbread mixture. Fold in chilies.
- Grease a muffin tin or for larger cornbread grease 8 x 8 pan. If using cupcake pan, fill ¾ full. Add Cheddar Shreds in small bunches in each muffin or all over larger cornbread loaf. This helps with the melt. Enclose lightly with batter.
- Bake for 24-26 minutes for muffins or 30-35 minutes for lager loaf, or until tops are golden and a toothpick comes out clean.