French Onion Burger
- 2-3 burger buns (preferably vegan brioche)
- 2-3 slices Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Smoked Gouda
- 12 oz. vegan ground meat
- 1 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ cup Follow Your Heart Original Vegenaise
- ½ cup dijon mustard
- pinch of white pepper
- dash of white wine vinegar
- 2 large yellow onions
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup vegan beef broth or veggie broth
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- To make the dijonnaise simply combine everything in a bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Slice the onions from pole to pole, in thin but not too thin strips. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and heat up the oil. Add the onions and stir to coat in the butter and oil.
- Cook the onions over medium heat for 45-60 minutes. Stirring every minute or so. Add a pinch of salt once they start to get a bit brown (about 10-15 minutes). Once they are mostly golden brown and very soft, add in the vegan beef or veggie broth and balsamic vinegar. Stir to incorporate. Reduce the broth down completely. Your onions should be a deep dark brown and taste amazing! Keep warm on low.
- Combine the vegan meat, Worcestershire and onion powder in a bowl. Form either 2 (6 oz) patties, or 3 (4 oz.) patties.
- Toast your buns over medium heat.
- Cook the burger patties over medium high heat about 3 minutes per side. When you flip them, add a slice of the Dairy-Free Smoked Gouda Cheese. Then add in a few drops of water to the pan and cover to steam and melt the cheese.
- Once melted, remove from heat and assemble burger as follows: bottom bun, cheeseburger, onions, dijonnaise, top bun. ENJOY!