French Onion Soup
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 4 medium brown onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 cups vegan beef-style vegetable broth
- ¼ cup red wine *optional
- 1 tbsp light miso
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp finely ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 organic French baguette
- 2 cups Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Finely Shredded Mozzarella
- Pre-heat a large pot. Add butter and sauté onions and garlic for about 10 minutes over a low flame, or until translucent. Add broth, red wine if using, miso, sea salt, pepper, bay leaf, and lemon juice.
- At a simmer and cook, partially covered for about 20 minutes, or until onions are very tender.
- Heat your oven broiler to a high heat setting.
- Slice baguette into 1 inch thick rounds and ladle soup into heat tolerant ramekins. Place one round of bread on each serving of soup and top with about ¼ – 1/3 cup Dairy-Free Finely Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, depending on size of ramekin. Place ramekins on a large baking dish with walled sides and broil for about 2-4 minutes, or until cheese on top is bubbling.
- Serve warm on an appetizer plate because ramekins will be very hot! Garnish with chives.