French Onion Stuffed Mushrooms
- 2 lbs baby bella or white mushrooms
- 1 package Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Mozzarella Shreds
- 2 large onions
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme chopped
- 2 tbsp sherry
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- ¼ cup vegan beef or mushroom broth
- 2 slices of sourdough bread, toasted & coarsely crumbled (bread crumbs)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 ½ tbsp parsley chopped for garnish
- Prepare the onions by chopping off the ends and peeling away the skin and the first layer of onion if papery. Cut the onions in half from end to end. Place the onion cut side down and cut the onion into thin slices (root to stem).
- Melt the vegan butter in a large but wide bottomed pot set on medium low heat. Add the onions and allow them to sweat or release their water. Stir occasionally and lower the heat if you notice any burning.
- Continue to cook the onions down stirring them every so often. Be patient this entire process will take about 45 minutes to an hour. The onions will release sugar and leave little bits on the bottom of the pan, this is good. If the onions become too dry you can add a tbsp of water to keep them going.
- As the onions cook they will become a beautiful dark brown color, reduce greatly and become jammy in consistency. Once this happens, add in the sherry, miso paste and thyme, mix well and continue cooking for another minute. Add in the broth and with a silicone or wooden utensil, scrape up any of those oniony bits and mix them into the onions. Season with salt & pepper and remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- While the onions are cooking prepare and bake your mushrooms. Remove the stem from the mushroom cap and remove any soft white mushroom flesh that obscures the opening of the cap. With a dry kitchen or paper towel, gently brush away any dirt remaining on the mushrooms. Place the caps open side up on a lined baking sheet and bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Remove any water that has collected and bake for another 10 minutes. (optional: you can reserve the mushroom water and use it as broth in the onions). Allow the mushrooms to cool.
- Place the baked mushrooms onto lined baking sheet. Stuff the mushrooms with about 2 tsp of the caramelized onion mixture. Set aside.
- Melt the cheese by heating a nonstick pan on medium low heat and add the dry Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Mozzarella Shreds to the pan. Cover the pan and allow the shreds to melt completely. Lower the heat if the cheese starts to bubble.
- Assemble and bake by topping he stuffed mushrooms with 1 tsp of the toasted bread crumbs and then layer on a tbsp or more of the melted cheese. Place the baking sheet of mushrooms about 6”under the broiler at 425 for 5-7 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Garnish with chopped parsley before serving warm.
Note: To save time or prep for your dinner, you can caramelize the onions the day before. Warm them before adding to the mushrooms.