Fried Mushroom Po’Boy
Cornmeal Fried Mushrooms
- 4 eggs worth of Follow Your Heart VeganEgg
- 3 cups cornmeal
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cajun seasoning
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 pints of baby bella mushrooms, stems removed
- canola oil for frying
- 2 cups Follow Your Heart Soy-Free Vegenaise
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp whole grain Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp cayenne (or less if you want it more mild)
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 ½ tsp celery salt
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp vegan Worcestershire
- 2 tsp prepared horseradish
- sub roll
- sliced tomatoes
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- For the remoulade, mix all ingredients together until smooth and refrigerate until ready to use.
- For the mushrooms, remove the stems and place them in your VeganEgg. Toss to coat and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Mix together your other ingredients while your oil heats to 375F. Add your mushrooms to the cornmeal mix and toss to coat well.
- Fry in the preheated oil until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Drain on a paper towel lined plate and season with salt.
- Cut your sub roll, add your remoulade, tomato, pickles, shredded lettuce, and fried mushrooms.
- You can use any type of mushrooms you’d like! To make it more like fried “oysters,” oyster mushrooms work great. You can also use hearts of palm.