Garlic Miso Mushroom Grilled Cheese
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 9 tbsp dairy-free butter
- 10 ounces shiitake mushrooms
- 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (or tamari for gluten-free)
- 1 tbsp white miso paste
- ½ tbsp rice vinegar
- sprinkle black pepper
- Follow Your Heart Original Vegenaise
- 12 slices Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Smoked Gouda
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- fresh basil
- In a medium pan, add 5 tbsp of vegan butter. Once melted, add in the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Push the mushrooms to the side and add the soy sauce, miso paste, rice vinegar, and a sprinkle of black pepper. Mix all of that together and then mix it through the mushrooms. Cook until golden and transfer to another bowl and set aside.
- Generously coat one side of slices of bread with Vegenaise.
- Reheat the pan to medium-low and add a tablespoon more of vegan butter. Once it melts, add in 1 slice of bread, Vegenaise side down, in a skillet, and top with 3 slices of Dairy-Free Smoked Gouda, tomato, ¼ of the mushroom mixture, and fresh basil.
- Top with a second slice of bread, Vegenaise side up. Add 1 tablespoon of water to the hot pan, and cover the pan. This will allow for the Dairy-Free Smoked Gouda to melt as the bread toasts.
- Once the underside is golden brown, flip the sandwich and add 1 tablespoon more of water. Cover again and cook until golden. Continue this process with the remaining 3 sandwiches.
- Serve immediately.