Ghost Flatbreads with Chipotle Cheddar Fondue
- 3 1/3 cup bread flour
- 1 ½ cups + 2 tbsp warm plain soymilk
- 2 tbsp organic cane sugar
- 1, ¼ oz. packet active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp melted vegan butter
- 1 tsp salt
- avocado oil, vegan butter, or grapeseed oil for cooking
Chipotle Cheddar Fondue
- 1, 14 oz. can pure pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp chipotle hot sauce
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp smooth Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ tsp each onion & garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 bag Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Finely Shredded Cheddar
- 2 cups plain soymilk
- Warm your soy milk for about 1 minute in the microwave or on the stovetop, just until its warm to the touch but not hot. Add in your sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Sprinkle your yeast packet overtop the warm soy milk/sugar and let sit for about 5 minutes (don’t stir) until foamy.
- Add your yeast/soy milk/sugar mixture to a large mixing bowl, and then add your melted vegan butter & salt- mix to combine.
- Add half of your bread flour, mix well with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, then add your remaining flour and mix again until a shaggy dough forms. Transfer the dough and any remaining flour/milk mix from the bowl to a floured surface and knead for about 2-3 minutes until the dough just comes together into a uniform ball. Don’t over knead this!
- Rinse out and completely dry your mixing bowl and add enough oil to coat the bottom and the sides. Place your dough ball back in & lightly rub a tiny bit of oil over top the dough. Cover with a kitchen towel and set in a warm place for an hour, or until it has doubled in size.
- Once your dough is proofed, cut it into 8 pieces and roll them into uniform balls. Roll each individual ball out into an oval shape, that is slightly longer and more tapered at one end. Carefully cut out 2 eyes and an elongated mouth (save these dough bits for later though!).
- In a skillet over medium high heat, add just enough oil or vegan butter to coat the bottom of the pan. Add 1-2 flatbreads at a time (depending on the size of the pan, you just don’t want them to touch!) and sprinkle with salt. Cook for about 3-4 minutes per side, or until each side is golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate while you cook the rest.
- Once your ghost flatbreads are cooked, do the same cooking process with all the dough eye/mouth scraps but only for about a minute or so on each side (since they’re smaller they will cook a lot faster, especially the eye pieces).
- For the chipotle cheddar fondue, place all ingredients into a pot and place it on the stove over medium heat.
- Continuously stir until the cheese has melted and the sauce is well combined and hot.
- Serve your flatbreads warm (you can cover the cooked ones with a kitchen towel while you cook the rest to trap heat) alongside your chipotle cheddar fondue for dipping!
- Dip away & enjoy!