Gourmet Bleu Cheese Burger
Bleu Cheese Burger:
- 1 French or Italian roll
- 8 oz. plant-based meat
- handful of arugula
- ¼ cup Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Blue Cheese Crumbles
- ¼ cup Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Finely Shredded Mozzarella
Onion Bacon Compote:
- 2 yellow onions (diced or thinly sliced pole to pole)
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 oz. vegan bacon (cooked and chopped)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- To make the Onion Bacon Compote, melt the vegan butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add in the olive oil and then the onions. Stir to coat onions in butter and oil. Add a pinch of salt. Cook on medium for 10 minutes or until onions are softened and translucent.
- Add in the brown sugar, smoked paprika, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper to taste, and the chopped and cooked vegan bacon. Cook on medium heat until onions have become a dark brown color and are soft but not mushy, this can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour. If they dry out, add a splash of water as needed. Once cooked to desired doneness, add in balsamic vinegar and vegan Worcestershire and stir to combine. Cover and keep warm on low heat.
- Form the burger patty to match the length and width of the roll. If 8 oz is too much, use less! Heat up a skillet over medium heat. Split the roll and spread some vegan butter on each slice, then toast in the pan until golden brown. Set aside to rest on a wire rack (so it doesn’t steam and get soggy). Next add the burger patty to the pan and season with salt and pepper (or any other desired seasonings). Cook for about 3-4 minutes or until well browned, then flip.
- Add about ¼ cup of the onion bacon compote on top of the burger patty, followed by the Finely Shredded Mozzarella. Cover to melt the cheese (you can add a little water to the pan to help it steam and melt too).
- Once cheese is melted, add the burger patty to the bottom roll, top it with the Dairy-Free Bleu Cheese Crumbles and arugula. Add the top roll and ENJOY!