Jack-O-Lantern Cheeseburger Hand Pies
- 2 sheets (17 oz) frozen puff pastry thawed
- 8 oz vegan ground meat
- 8 slices of Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free American Cheese
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 ½ tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dill pickle sliced
- 1 tbsp plant milk
- 1 tbsp vegan butter melted
- 1-2 tbsp flour for rolling out puff pastry
- mustard & ketchup to serve
- In a large pan, sauté the onion on medium low heat until translucent. About 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the vegan ground meat and break apart. Mix well and season with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Cook until browned or about 6-8 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one sheet of the thawed puff pastry at a time. It should be about an 1/8 of an inch thick. Cut out 6 pumpkins per sheet and set onto a baking sheet. (you can get an additional two pumpkins out of each sheet if you patch together the scraps). You should have an equal amount of tops and bottoms.
- Use a sharp pairing knife to cut out two triangles for the eyes and a third upside down triangle for the nose to the tops of the pumpkins. Feel free to get creative with your own design.
- Cut pumpkin shapes out of the Dairy-Free American Cheese Slices and set aside.
- Assemble the hand pies by adding about 2 – 2 ½ tbsp of the cooled hamburger mixture to the bottom pumpkins. Top each with a slice of cheese and a few pickle slices if using.
- Lightly coat the edges of the bottoms with a bit of water to help the tops seal. Do the same to the top. Place the top pumpkin with the cut outs on top of the cheeseburger filling. Use a fork to gently press around the edges of the entire hand pie to form a seal around it. Make sure there are no gaps. Place the sealed hand pies onto a clean parchment lined baking sheet.
- Brush the tops of the hand pies with a bit of plant milk. Bake at 400° F for 20 -22 minutes or until golden brown.
- Brush them again with the melted butter as soon as they come out of the oven. Allow them to cool a bit before serving.