Jackfruit Carnitas Tacos
2 cans (400 g) young jackfruit, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp neutral tasting oil (Safflower)
½ brown onion (115 g), finely diced
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
½ tsp sea salt
1 tsp chili powder
¼ tsp cayenne powder
1 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
3 tbsp brown sugar
177.5 ml natural cola (1/2 can)
2 tbsp lime juice
Siracha Lime Crema:
1 tbsp lime juice, plus zest of ½ lime
¼ tsp sea salt
8-10 organic corn tortillas
1 avocado, diced
¼ cup coriander, roughly chopped
1 lime, cut into eighths (optional)
- Break apart jackfruit with hands, until it resembles a pulled pork texture. Set aside.
- Pre-heat a pan over medium heat and oil. Add onion and garlic. Cook about 3 minutes. Add jackfruit, sea salt, chili powder, cayenne, oregano, cumin, Worcestershire, brown sugar, cola, and lime juice. Stir well to incorporate.
- Cook for 10 minutes covered over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally and an additional 7-10 minutes uncovered, or until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile combine lime juice and zest, Sriracha Vegenaise, Original Vegenaise, and sea salt until uniform. Set aside.
- Heat tortillas on a warm skillet with no oil, until pliable. Fill with jackfruit mixture, and top with avocado, coriander, sriracha lime crema and garnish with lime wedge if desired.