- 16 dried lasagna sheets
- 8 oz extra firm tofu, drained and pat dry
- ¼ cup Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Parmesan, grated or shredded, plus more for serving
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning, divided
- 2 tsp kosher salt, divided, plus more to taste
- 2 tsp ground black pepper, divided
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup finely chopped white onion
- 4 cloves fresh minced garlic
- 8 oz vegan ‘beef’ crumbles
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar, or sweetener of choice, optional
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes, optional
- ¼ tsp ground fennel
- 1 (25-ounce) jar of your favorite marinara sauce
- 1 (7-ounce) bag Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Mozzarella Shreds
- Fresh minced parsley, for garnish
- Cook your lasagna noodles until al dente according to package directions. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the ricotta. Crumble the tofu into a food processor along with the parmesan, apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp Italian seasoning, ½ tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, and the garlic powder. Pulse until smooth and set aside.
- For the sauce, sauté the onion, garlic, and veggie crumbles in the olive oil over medium heat. Season with the coconut sugar (if using), remaining tsp Italian seasoning, 1 ½ tsp salt, remaining tsp pepper, red pepper flakes (if using), and ground fennel. Using the back of a wooden spoon, break up the veggie crumbles and continue to cook, stirring often, until the onion is translucent, and the crumbles are heated through, about 5-6 minutes. Pour in the marinara sauce, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring every so often. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- When the noodles are cool enough to touch, use a cooking cutter or small rimmed glass to cut out 36 rounds from the pasta sheets – you should be able to get 4-5 rounds from each sheet (see recipe notes1). Take 6 lasagna sheets and cut those in half lengthwise. Line the bottom of a greased cupcake tray with a pasta round. Fold the long lasagna strips into rings and line the sides of the tray to form “pasta cups”.
- Spoon about 1 tbsp of sauce into each cup, followed by a heaping tsp of the ricotta. Add another pasta round on top of the ricotta, pressing down gently. Top the second layer of rounds with 1 tbsp sauce, 1 heaping tsp ricotta, and another pasta round. Top the last layer with the remaining sauce and sprinkle the mozzarella on top. Bake in the preheated oven until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbly, about 15-20 minutes.
- Let cool 10 minutes before removing the lasagna cups from the tray. Garnish with fresh parsley and Follow Your Heart parmesan and enjoy!
When making the circles from the pasta sheets, make sure they’re not too small. If they’re bigger than the bottom of the cupcake tin – that’s okay! If they’re too small, they won’t hold up as well