Lemon Poppyseed Sticky Buns
1 cup non-dairy milk (oat or almond)
1 packet active dry yeast
3 tbsp vegan butter
¼ cup, plus ⅓ cup evaporated cane sugar
3 cups flour
2 tbsp poppy seeds
2 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tsp n sea salt
1 lemon, zested and juiced
⅓ cup non-dairy creamer
3 cups powdered sugar
½ lemon, zest and juice
½ tub Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Cream Cheese, softened
2 tbsp vegan butter, softened
- In small pot heat non-dairy milk just until warmed and whisk in ¼ cup sugar. Set aside to cool slightly. Add yeast, stir gently and set aside about 10 minutes to let yeast bloom.
- Melt butter in microwave or small pot.
- To large bowl add yeast mixture and butter. Slowly whisk in flour, one cup at a time. Add poppy seeds, salt, vanilla, lemon juice, reserving zest. Knead until sticky, but holds a ball shape, about 5 minutes.
- Set aside, covered to rise about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine remaining sugar and zest. Stir.
- Flour surface and roll into rectangle about 12 inches in length. Sprinkle evenly with sugar and zest mixture. Roll into long coil. Slice into 14-16 rounds.
- Place on baking sheet. Brush each roll with non-dairy creamer. Cover and rise again for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Bake about 30 minutes or until golden on top.
- Meanwhile, for frosting in a standing mixer or with a hand blender combine powdered sugar, lemon juice and zest, Dairy-Free Cream Cheese, and softened butter until smooth and uniform.
- When rolls are cooled, spread with frosting.