- ¼ cup, divided vegan butter
- ½ brown onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup button mushrooms, large dice
- ¼ tsp sea salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ tsp finely ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 cups hearts of palm, large dice
- ¼ cup celery, finely chopped (about 2 stalks)
- 2 tbsps fresh lemon juice, plus zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp Follow Your Heart Original Vegenaise
- 1 tsp agave
- 1 tbsp capers
- dash cayenne pepper, plus for garnish *optional
- 4 leaves green leaf or Boston lettuce
- 2 tsp fresh chives or green onion, thinly sliced *optional for garnish
- 4 hoagie rolls or whole wheat hot dog buns
- In a large sauté pan, add 2 tablespoons vegan butter, sliced onion and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until soft. Add button mushrooms, sea salt, and pepper. Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes, or until the mushrooms are slightly browned.
- In a large bowl, add hearts of palm, celery, lemon juice, Vegenaise, agave, capers, and cayenne pepper. Stir until well coated.
- Heat a large sauté pan and add remaining tablespoons vegan butter. Slice rolls or hot dog buns lengthwise and place with cut side down into pan with butter. Toast, until golden brown on both sides.
- To serve, transfer rolls or hot dog buns to a plate. Place 1 piece of lettuce in each roll or bun and fill with hearts of palm and mushroom mixture. Top with chives and cayenne if desired.