Pastelon Shepherd’s Pie
Cheesy Beefy Mixture:
- 5 slices Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Pepper Jack Slices
- 1 cup Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Finely Shredded Cheddar
- ¼ cup Follow Your Heart Original Vegenaise
- plant-based beef crumbles
- ½ white onion, diced
- 1 green or red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup mixed frozen veggies
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp Spanish paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp cooking wine
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 green plantains, peeled and cut into 1” slices
- 2 mashed garlic cloves
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp grapeseed or odorless tasteless oil
- pickled or raw onions
- Boil sliced plantains for 35 minutes or until fork tender. Mash with a fork or ricer until smooth.
- In a skillet, sauté onions until translucent, add a bay leaf, then add in the bell peppers, sauce for another minute or two.
- Add in plant-based ground beef, stir in until browned then stir in the mixed vegetables.
- Add in the tomato sauce, spices, tamari, salt and pepper. Mix in until incorporated, then allow to simmer for 3 minutes then remove the bay leaf.
- Stir in the Vegenaise until incorporated, then add in the 1 cup of Dairy-Free Shredded Cheddar and mix in thoroughly until the cheese is melted.
- Before adding in the Pepper Jack Slices, taste test your cheesy beefy mixture, adjusting seasonings to your liking.
- Incorporate the Pepper Jack Slices on top of the mixture, then layer the mashed plantains on top.
- Garnish with onions and cilantro, then enjoy!