Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich
- 1 6” sub bread roll
- 1 tbsp dairy-free butter
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 275g chopped button mushrooms
- 75g sliced portobello mushrooms
- 70g julienned sliced green bell pepper
- ½ of a medium sized onion, chopped
- ½ tsp coarse black pepper
- 1 ½ tbsp Italian herb mixed seasoning (or mixed herb seasoning of choice)
- ¼ tsp red pepper chili flakes
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Follow Your Heart Original Vegenaise
- 50g Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Finely Shredded Cheddar
- Bring a nonstick pan to medium-high heat then add in the butter, olive oil and both mushrooms.
- Sauté until the mushrooms begin to brown and have become tender then add in the bell peppers, onion, black pepper, Italian herb, and chili flakes.
- Sauté until the onions and bell peppers become tender then add in the soy sauce and stir for 30 seconds.
- Salt the mushrooms to taste.
- Vertically slice the sub using a bread knife. Do not slice the bread all the way through as you want both bread sides to remain joined at the bottom. There should be about a ½ inch of bread that has not been cut through.
- Using your hands, gently open the face of your sub bread to make it flat. Spread Vegenaise all over the face of the bread then toast it in a pan face down until the bread has slightly charred. Toast the other side of the bread for 30 seconds to give it a light crisp.
- Transfer the toasted sub bread to a plate then top it with the sauteed veggies. If the veggies have turned a little cold, reheat them before topping the sub.
- Melt the Dairy-Free Finely Shredded Cheddar Cheese in a nonstick pan at medium heat then pour the melted cheese over the veggies.
- Optional to sprinkle a little coarse black pepper on top of the cheese before taking your first bite. Enjoy!