Pickled Beet and Feta Sandwich
- 2 garnet beets, peeled and sliced into ¼ inch thick rounds
- 2 tsp neutral-tasting oil (safflower)
- 2 tbsp evaporated cane sugar
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp dried ground mustard
- ½ tsp smoked sea salt plus ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp finely ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 sprigs fresh dill
- ¾ cup water
For Pickled Beets
Steam beets in vegetable steamer until tender, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. In a shallow dish, add oil, sugar, vinegar, mustard, smoked salt, sea salt, pepper, garlic, dill, and water. Whisk. Add beets and gently toss to coat. Spread out beets evenly and submerge in marinade. Let rest in refrigerator 2 hours to overnight.
Toast pita in toaster oven until golden. Slice in half and generously spread Vegenaise inside each half. Add pickled beet, lettuce, cabbage, carrot, and olives. Top with Feta Crumbles. Serve immediately.