- 1 medium delicata squash
- 1 medium / large kabocha squash
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 7 oz Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Smoked Gouda Slices (shredded)
- ¾ cup Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Shredded Parmesan
- 2 ½ tbsp flour
- 2 ½ tbsp vegan butter
- 2 ½ cups plant milk
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- salt & pepper to taste
- 8-10 sage leaves of varying sizes for frying
- 1/3 cup high temp oil for frying
- Wash the outer skin of both squash really well. Cut them open and remove their seeds and any fibrous flesh.
- Slice the squash into smaller half moon shapes about ½“ thick. Place them all into a large bowl. Toss with oil, sage, thyme, salt & pepper. Lay them out onto one or two parchment lined baking sheets. Bake at 350 for 20-225 minutes. Flip once half way through baking. Set aside to cool.
- In a large pot melt the vegan butter on medium low heat. Add in the flour and mix well until a paste like texture forms. Continue cooking and mixing for a minute or two. Slowly add in the plant milk a little at a time until it is completely incorporated. Repeat until all of the milk has been added.
- Allow the mixture to thicken slightly before adding in the shredded Dairy-Free Smoked Gouda Cheese. Keep mixing as it heats through until it becomes smooth and creamy. Add in the parmesan and nutmeg and mix well.
- Pour about a 1/3 cup of the cheese sauce into a baking dish. Layer the roasted squash on top. When you have used up half pour another ½ cup of the sauce over. Layer the rest of the squash on top filling in any gaps or holes. Pour the remaining sauce over everything. Bake at 350° F for 25 -30 minutes or until warm and bubbly.
- While the squash gratin is baking, prepare the sage leaves. Heat the oil and gently place the sage leaves in the oil for about 30 seconds, flip and fry another 10 -15 seconds. They should be crispy and darker in color but not burnt. Place the fried leaves onto a paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
- Garnish the gratin with the fried sage leaves and serve warm.