- 6 large red tomatoes
- ½ cup diced white onion
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup crushed pecans
- 3 tbsp steak seasoning
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1-2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Grated Parmesan
- ½ cup Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Feta Crumbles
- ¼ cup herbed breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- Heat your oven to 375° F to bake the tomatoes.
- Smash cooked chickpeas until most are broken apart.
- In a large pot, sauté diced white onions and green bell peppers in oil and salt.
- Once the peppers and onions are cooked down add in smashed chickpeas, crushed pecans, steak seasoning, Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, red pepper flakes, and nutritional yeast. Mix everything together well on medium heat.
- Add the marinara sauce and maple syrup and mix it into the other vegetables until everything is fully covered in sauce and seasoning.
- Using a knife and an ice cream scoop, slice into the large tomatoes to remove the center of the tomatoes. Make sure to not hollow it out too much so that the fillings fall out the bottom. You are basically creating a tomato bowl!
- Once you have the tomatoes hollowed out, add them to a baking dish and sprinkle in some Dairy-Free Grated Parmesan Cheese.
- Next fill the tomatoes with the smashed chickpea marinara mixture. Leave a little bit of room at the top to sprinkle on more Dairy-Free Grated Parmesan and then herbed breadcrumbs.
- Bake the stuffed tomatoes for 15-22 minutes, periodically spraying the tomatoes with a bit of water. This will help the plant-based cheese melt!
- Once the tomatoes are baked and starting to split, remove them from the oven and garnish with Dairy-Free Feta Crumbles and basil.
- Sing your song. Do your dance. Speak your truth and enjoy the Stuffed Tomatoes!