Ultimate Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 large onion
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp butter to fry the onions + enough butter to coat both sides of both bread slices
- Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Finely Shredded Cheddar (enough to coat the surface of bread slices)
- Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Finely Shredded Mozzarella (enough to coat the surface of both bread slices)
- pinch of salt
- pinch of black pepper
- pinch of dry or fresh chopped parsley
- pinch of cayenne *optional
- Bring a medium-sized non-stick pan to medium heat.
- Melt the butter in the pan then add in the sliced onions and cook until they have caramelized for about 10-15 minutes, stirring the onions occasionally. They should be soft and brown in color.
- Once brown in color, mix in the balsamic vinegar until the vinegar has reduced completely then remove the onions from the heat.
- Butter both sides of the bread slices then top both slices with the Dairy-Free Finely Shredded Cheddar and Mozzarella Cheeses, make sure the surface of both slices are completely coated with both cheeses.
- Spread the caramelized onions on top of the cheese on both slices then sprinkle the pinch of salt, black pepper, and cayenne (optional) then close the sandwich.
- Place the sandwich in a non-stick pan set to medium heat and cover the sandwich with a lid that is smaller than the pan size so it can apply pressure onto the sandwich.
- Toast both sides of the sandwich using this lid pressure method. Both sides should take 6 minutes to brown. If it is browning too quickly, turn your heat down to medium low. This will ensure your cheese has time to melt before the bread gets too toasty.
- Cut the sandwich in half and enjoy while hot.