Vegan Pastelitos De Carne Y Queso
- 8 oz plant based meat (or 16 oz oyster mushrooms, ground and pan fried)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ package Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Mozzarella Finely Shredded
- 1 green bell pepper, small diced
- ½ onion, small diced
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- ½ cup red wine
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- oil for cooking
- plant based butter for basting
- simple syrup for topping
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Make the sofrito ahead of time by sautéing the onions until translucent, then adding in the peppers and garlic. Sauté for one minute then add wine and spices, allowing the wine to reduce. Take off heat and set aside.
- Set a skillet to medium high heat and pan fry the ground meat, mixing in the cumin and salt. Once browned, add in the Follow Your Heart Finely Shredded Mozzarella. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Cut out circles of puff pastry, two circles per pastry, one for the top one for the bottom. Insert filling with a scooper for precision. Crimp around the pastry then baste the tops with vegan butter.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Top with simple syrup and enjoy!