Vegetable Pie with Parmesan Crust
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
- 2 tsp evaporated cane sugar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp non-aluminum baking powder
- 1/3 cup ice-cold vegan butter, cut into small pieces
- ¾ cup, plus ¼ cup Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Shredded Parmesan
- 1/3 – ½ ice cold water
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp maple syrup, for brushing crust
- 2 tsp unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced strips
- 1 carrot, sliced into rounds
- 1 zucchini, sliced into rounds
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp finely ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp maple or date syrup
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 cups baby spinach, packed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Cream Cheese
- 2 tsp fresh parsley, finely chopped, plus for topping
- Pre-heat oven to 400˚F.
- In a large food processor, add flours, sugar, sea salt, and baking powder. Pulse a few times to combine. Add in butter and pulse about 15 times to incorporate. Drizzle in vinegar and add cold water in tbsp increments while pulsing, until dough starts to pull away from walls, about 10 pulses. Add ¾ cup Follow Your Heart Shredded Parmesan and pulse to incorporate, about 5 times. Once dough comes together, roll into one or two ¼ inch discs, between sheets of parchment, and refrigerate for ½ hour.
- In a sauté pan over medium-low heat, add butter and onion. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add carrot and zucchini and cook about 2 more minutes. Add salt, pepper, vinegar, and parsley and cook about 2 more minutes, to soften slightly. Remove from heat.
- In a separate saute pan add olive oil. Add spinach, garlic, and lemon juice, and cook to wilt, about 2 minutes. Cool slightly and mix with Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Cream Cheese. Set aside.
- Roll out dough about ¼ inch thick and top with creamy spinach mixture. Then add vegetable mixture, leaving a 1-inch border from edge. Fold border around vegetables, leaving center exposed. Brush edges of crust maple syrup combined with almond milk. Top with remaining Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Shredded Parmesan. Bake about 35 minutes, or until crust is golden. Top with additional parsley when serving, if desired.