Veggie Mac and Cheese
- 1 package macaroni (16 oz)
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets
- ½ cup organic frozen peas
- 1/3 cup vegan butter
- 1/3 cup unbleached flour
- ½ brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups un-sweetened almond or oat milk
- 1 package Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Finely Shredded Mozzarella
- ¾ tsp sea salt, plus to taste
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 5 oz baby spinach
- Bring about 6-8 cups of water to a boil. Add pinch of sea salt. Add macaroni and cook according to directions. 4 minutes before pasta is finished, add broccoli and peas. Finish cooking and drain.
- Heat a saucepan and add butter and flour. Whisk to form a roux. Add onion and garlic and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add almond or oat milk in slow steady stream, whisking constantly. Cook for about 5-7 minutes to thicken. Add Finely Shredded Mozzarella and whisk to incorporate. Add salt and pepper and whisk.
- Add spinach to sauce. Cook until wilted. Add cooked pasta and greens and fold to incorporate evenly.
- Serve warm.