Baked Orzo with Apsaragus
by Eva Agha
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody ends discarded and thinly sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup dried orzo (6oz)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Lemon zest and fresh-squeezed juice from 1 lemon
- 1 cup Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Mozzarella Shreds
- 1 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 ½ tsp fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp minced fresh chives
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Heat a dutch oven or large skillet over medium heat and add the oil and asparagus. Sauté the asparagus until a shade darker, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt and let sizzle for 30 seconds.
- Add the orzo and turn the heat down to medium-low. Toast for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the broth, lemon juice, lemon zest, Follow Your Heart Mozzarella-Style Shreds, green peas, and herbs and turn the heat up and bring to a simmer. Optional: reserve some peas and asparagus to garnish the top after baking.
- Once it reaches a simmer, transfer to an oven-safe dish (if needed) and cover. Bake covered for 10-15 minutes until the orzo is cooked, stirring after 5 minutes. After stirring you can sprinkle some more mozzarella shreds to the top. Serve warm, garnished with extra herbs and the reserved asparagus and peas.