Cheese-Stuffed Big Daddy Burger
by Spork Foods
- 2 packages ground seitan (8 oz)
- 1 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup BBQ sauce, plus ¼ cup more for brushing burgers
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brown rice syrup
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, plus to taste
- ¼ teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon or German mustard
- 10 slices Follow Your Heart American Slices, each cut into 3-inch circles
- 2 tablespoons neutral tasting oil (safflower)
¼ cup Follow Your Heart Vegenaise, for buns
- ½ purple onion, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 tomato, sliced into rounds
- 3 leaves romaine lettuce, sliced into large squares
- 5 vegan hamburger buns, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 375˚.
- In a large food processor, add seitan, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire sauce, 1/3 cup BBQ sauce, lemon juice, brown rice syrup, sea salt, pepper and mustard. Pulse until uniform.
- Scoop ½ cup seitan mixture and press into a large disc on a clean surface, with damp hands. Place 2 rounds Follow Your Heart American Style Cheese in center. Enclose with seitan from edges and re-form into patty shape. Repeat for all patties.
- Heat griddle over medium heat and add oil. Add patties and cook for about 6-7 minutes per side. Brush patties with BBQ sauce once flipped.
- Toast hamburger buns and spread Vegenaise® on bun. Add cheese stuffed burgers to bun. Top with onion, tomato, and romaine. Serve warm.