Caramelized Onion & Arugula Grilled Cheese
by Plvnt Food
- Sourdough bread
- Follow Your Heart Avocado Oil Vegenaise
- Follow Your Heart Smoked Gouda Cheese Slices
- 3 large yellow onions, sliced into thin half-moons
- Smooth Dijon mustard
- 4 tbsp vegan butter
- Salt & crushed red pepper to taste
- Slice your onion and add it to a skillet over low heat with your vegan butter, salt, and crushed red pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring every 5-7 minutes, for about 45 minutes until the onions are jammy and fully caramelized. Transfer them to a paper towel-lined plated to absorb any excess grease once finished.
- Take your sourdough bread and coat one side of each slice with some mayo. Place the mayo side down in a skillet over medium-low heat, and place 2 slices of smoked gouda on each slice of bread. Cover with the lid and allow to cook until the cheese is nice and melty.
- Once the cheese is melted and the bread is browned, add a generous amount of caramelized onions, some arugula, and some Dijon mustard. Close up the sandwich and press down to seal it together.
- Cut in half and serve!