- 2 pounds red potatoes, cut into quarters
- 3/4 cup coconut creamer
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 small green cabbage, finely shredded (or one 10-ounce package)
- 1 cup (about 4 ounces) Vegan Cheddar Shreds
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender when pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes; drain well and mash with skins on, adding the creamer and salt.
- While potatoes are cooking, melt 5 tablespoons butter in a large skillet. Add onion; cook 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until very soft. Add cabbage; cook and stir for 5-10 minutes until very soft. Stir cabbage mixture and cheese into hot potatoes and season with pepper.
- Mound mixture in a baking dish and sprinkle cheese over top. Make a small well in the center and place under the broiler until cheese melts and potatoes are lightly browned on top, about 5-10 minutes. Remove from broiler. Place a pat of butter into well and serve so that each plate gets a serving of the delicious melted “butter”.