Chocolate Cupcakes w/ Cream Cheese
by Spork Foods
- 1 cup un-sweetened almond milk plus 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cup organic un-bleached all purpose flour
- ½ cup organic whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ teaspoon ground Ceylon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- 1 ½ teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup evaporated cane sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons Follow Your Heart® VeganEgg, whisked with ¼ cup ice-cold water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup neutral tasting oil (safflower preferred)
- ¼ cup vegan chocolate chips
Cream Cheese Filling Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 3 rounded tablespoons Follow Your Heart® Vegan Cream Cheese
- 3 cups organic powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a measuring cup, add milk and apple cider vinegar and let curdle about 2 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, add flours, cinnamon, cardamom, baking powder, sea salt, sugar and cocoa powder. Whisk until uniform.
- In a separate bowl, combine Follow Your Heart VeganEgg and ice cold water. Whisk until smooth and slightly thickened. Add curdled almond milk, vanilla extract, and oil. Whisk until uniform. Add into dry ingredients and whisk until uniform. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Line cupcake pan with liners and spray with non-stick spray if liners are not waxed. Bake 24-26 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Set aside to cool completely.
- To create filling: In a bowl of a standing mixer whisk buttery spread and cream cheese until uniform. Add powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and sea salt. Whisk until fluffy.
- To fill cupcakes, pipe cream cheese filling into center of cupcake and then frost top to seal in area where filling comes out of the top.