Chocolate Coffee Cake
by Spork Foods
- ¼ cup teaspoon organic sugar
- 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated buttery spread
- 2 tablespoons organic un-bleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash sea salt
- 2 tablespoons Follow Your Heart® VeganEgg, dry
- ½ cup ice-cold water
- ¾ cup vegan butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup organic sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ cup vegan Follow Your Heart Sour Cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup organic un-bleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup organic whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To create topping, pulse sugar, buttery spread, flour, cinnamon and sea salt in a food processor, or mix by hand, until clumpy. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, add VeganEgg and ice-cold water. Whisk until uniform and thick. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, or electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Add prepared VeganEgg, maple syrup, sour cream and vanilla extract and whip until uniform.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to incorporate.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and whisk until smooth. Add apple cider vinegar and whisk. Fold in chocolate chunks.
- Spread batter in either an angel food pan, or an 8 x 8 baking dish. Sprinkle topping over batter. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean, when inserted into cake.